The origin of the London Hunt may be traced back to the city's "garrison period", and is popularly cited as May 9, 1843. On that day a famous military steeplechase took place that dramatically illustrated local interest in equestrian sports, including foxhunting, which had begun in this area during the previous autumn.

It was actually on March 30, 1885, though, that the London Hunt Club was formally organized. Hound Kennels and a Clubhouse were soon established in converted farm buildings on Western Road at the present site of the Federal Agricultural Institute. Other early activities of the Club included lawn tennis, bowling and archery. By the turn of the century the Club had moved to a nearby location at the corner of what is now Richmond Street and Windermere Road, and with the provision of a 9-hole golf links was redesignated in 1904 as The London Hunt and Country Club. Tennis was revived in 1906 when two grass courts were constructed. In 1917 the golf course was expanded to 18 holes through the lease of a portion of the adjoining new campus which had been acquired by The University of Western Ontario. The tennis courts were abandoned in 1930 in order to convert the space into a parking lot for the increasing number of vehicles at the Club. Two years later trapshooting was introduced as an off-season activity.In 1951, because of the encroachment of residential development surrounding the London Hunt's property, the Hunt Kennels were moved to a new location east of Hyde Park. In 1965 the same reason forced the Hunt to move to its present location, the north east corner of the Denfield Side Road and the Sixth Concession Road of London Township. Aware that Western's expansion during the 1950's would eventually jeopardize its course, the Club purchased from the London Health Association some 275 acres (111 hectares) at the west end of Oxford Street. Robert Trent Jones designed a 27-hole golf course, 18 of which were completed in 1959. The following spring the Hunt Club moved to its present attractive setting. In 1970 tennis courts were constructed and the game rapidly proved popular with a large number of Members again.

Unique in North America for its entente cordiale of foxhunting, golf, tennis, skeet and trapshooting, the London Hunt and Country Club has attained an enviable reputation not only for its Members' excellence in competitive activities, but also for their contribution to the community and country during peace and war. The London Hunt and Country Club 1885 - 1985: A Distinguished Tradition records significant events in the history of the Club's first century.